Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Ginger Garlic Chicken in Sweet Chilli Sauce with Kaffir Lime


Weekends are truly great stress busters for me as I spend my Saturdays and Sundays doing what I love the most yes preparing a meal. A very non-conformist and do my cooking in the most unplanned manner, happened to visit Hypercity a super market at Malad (Mumbai, India) on Friday evening. This place is not only great in terms of what they stock but brilliant in terms of the store layout, you just keep walking all around and find everything at an arms length.
My first stop here was at the meat section where I saw these delicious packs of Boneless Chicken kept neatly wrapped with a cling film in a polystyrene foam tray's, they looked just some juicy and tempting that I just could not resist buying two packs of about 500g each.
As mentioned earlier you just keep moving and you sail through the store, I landed by at the sections that offers you a variety of sauces, dips, ready to cook mixes and happen lay my hands on the Thai Sweet Chilli with Kaffir Lime Dipping Sauce, not only did it look interesting but had a very luscious red colour that got my creative juices flowing and off that disappeared to my shopping basket.

Now on the lazy Sunday morning I decide that I am going to cook this wonderful chicken preparation. I put together the ingredients first


Chicken (boneless - 1 kg)

2 pieces of 1 inch of Ginger (finely chopped)

12 - 14 cloves of garlic (fresh) (half the quantity crushed & other half finely chopped)

1/2 a lemon juice

Salt to taste

1/2 tea spoon of sugar

grounded Kashmiri chillies (even the chilli flakes from the pizza parlours would do)

Olive oil

1 medium egg

2 Table spoons corn flour

1 small onion finely chopped

4 -6 green chillies split into two lengthwise.

Thai Sweet Chilli with Kaffir Lime Dipping Sauce (1 bottle - 150 ml)

2 -3 table spoons soya sauce

2 -3 table spoon chilli sauce (preferred is red, but greens also fine)


Now that we have the ingredients in place its important to marinate the chicken, well this helps in infusing the flavour of the ingredients into the meat.


Wash and clean the chicken and add to it a dash of olive oil, finely chopped ginger and the mashed garlic, mix thoroughly, add the juice of a 1/2 lemon and salt to taste and the sugar. Mix and put into the refrigerator for 20 mins.


Get the chicken out add the soya sauce, chilli sauce, mix, add 1 whole egg, mix to ensure that the entire chicken has got coated with the egg, add the cornflour and stir till the corn flour is well spread on all the pieces.


Wait for 5 mins, heat a wok, add olive oil and stir fry all the chicken pieces along with the marinate (if any) together till they are cooked. The chicken should get a nice golden brown colour with a grainy texture, remove the pieces of chicken and the sauce cooked in a platter. Now add a little more olive oil to the same wok, put the finely chopped ginger & garlic, cook for a minute, add the onion and the split chillies and cook till the onions go pink and transparent, put the Thai Sweet Chilli with Kaffir Lime Dipping Sauce and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the chicken and cooked sauce, mix ensure that the chicken is coated with the sauce. Cook for about a couple of minutes and serve with steamed rice or noodles. Well my family enjoyed this some good hot chapatis.


Serve individual portions with onion rings, green chillies & spring onions if you like.


Do try the recipe and tell me did you like the preparation.

No comments:

Food my Passion Headline Animator