Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Golden Prawns with Herbs


It’s just so amazing that cooking is such a stress buster for me, that I can never be bored of making lovely meals for my family. Even after a hard day’s work at the office and clicking over a thousand keys on my laptop I still have the energy to put together a meal for my kids and family. My regular fish supplier came home the other day a good set of prawns that I purchased on the simple condition that she will make sure that the prawns are shelled and de-veined. I also made sure that some of the prawns had their tails on, well the prawns look absolutely well groomed with the tail after they are cooked.
I have decided that I am going to make some delicious Golden Prawns with Herbs. Herbs have become my favorite ingredients recently. The aroma, the flavor and the blend of multiple herbs makes the dish so delicious that I cannot wait for the family to get together on the dining table.
After having defrosted the prawns and washing them, I started to marinate them. To marinate the Prawns I have used 5 different herbs Thyme, Rosemary, Oregano, Mint & Coriander (all these are fresh and finely chopped). Add some sea salt, juice of ½ a lemon and a dash of Olive Oil (I am so addicted to Olive oil – Thanks to my favorite chef – Nigella). Mix the ingredients and the prawns, so that the prawns are well covered with the lovely green mix of herbs.
Let the Prawns marinate for about 25 – 30 minutes (well you can even leave for lesser time if you are in a hurry, prawns acquire the flavor quickly and are quick to cook). Olive oil will ensure that the flavors are well passed onto the prawns (gorgeous pink pieces of flesh with the tails for a crown).
After you have marinated the Prawns, add some soya sauce & an egg into the prawns and ensure that you coat the entire lot with egg, now just add a couple of Table spoons of corn flour to the prawns and ensure that it is well spread.
Heat some more Olive Oil in a wok or pan as we need to shallow fry the prawns. Once the oil is heated add the prawns and let them cook for about 2- 3 minutes on each side, till the prawns curl and the tail is about to touch the head. At this stage the lovely pink prawns turns to gorgeous Golden with a touch of green. The herbs just look gorgeous on the prawns, they create very interesting patterns and most likely you will have a bunch of greens in the centre of each prawn. After each batch is done make sure you remove the greens from the pan as if they remain in the pan they get over cooked and start to taste bitter, so it is better to remove the bitter from the fry pan and discard.
Once the Prawns are done you will have quite a bit of marinate remaining in the bowl just shallow fry them along with the liquid present to create a nice green sauce, be careful not to overcook, as you can eat these greens raw. I cook it to just ensure that the egg gets cooked.
Serve these delicious prawns with schezwan sauce, Yogurt cheese dip or a butter garlic dip. My next post will carry the recipes for these dips.
These Herbs all have some wonderful medicinal properties other than just adding flavor to the prawns. Coriander,

It just feels so good when family enjoys a meal together, nothing can replace the pleasures of seeing a happy family together.

Ingredients: 20 - 25 medium sized Prawns, 1 Table spoon each - Fresh & finely chopped - Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary, 2 - 3 Table spoons - fresh & finely chopped - Mint & Coriander, juice of 1/2 a Lemon, 1 tea spoon Olive Oil, 1 egg, 2 Table spoons corn flour, 2 tea spoons soya sauce, Salt to taste, Olive Oil for frying.

No comments:

Food my Passion Headline Animator